What do I get in my Skybrary School subscription?
- 7 uniquely themed islands
- 1,000+ digital children's picture books
- Hundreds of Video Field Trips
- 40 supplemental standards-based curriculum units
- 24/7 access
- Robust Teacher Management Tools
What grade-levels are appropriate for Skybrary School?
How does the 30 day free trial work?
What types of subscriptions do you offer?
I have more than 35 students. Do I need to buy separate subscriptions for each additional student?
How much does Skybrary School Edition cost?
I've purchased my subscription, but haven't yet received my confirmation email.
Will my school credit card be charged at the time I sign up for the 30 day free trial?
Is LeVar Burton Kids a vendor in my school district?
Does Skybrary School only play videos from the original TV series?
On what devices does Skybrary School work?
What are the system/technical requirements to use Skybrary School?
Skybrary School is a web-based digital library that is compatible with most laptops, desktops or Chromebook computers that have access to the Internet and a working printer. For the best experience, you should have a broadband connection to the Internet, such as DSL, cable, or satellite.
You will also need free third party software installed, such as a PDF reader program, like Adobe Reader, to view the Teacher's Guides and Themed Units.
Please see below to ascertain if your computer has all the necessary hardware and software to use Reading Rainbow Skybrary School Edition.
Windows Desktops and Laptops:
- Windows 7 - Chrome 33+ or Firefox 33+
- Windows 8.1 - Chrome 33+, Firefox 33+, or Internet Explorer 11
- Windows 10 - Chrome 33+ or Edge 12+
-1.6 gigahertz (GHz) or higher processor
-512 MB of RAM or higher
Mac Desktops and Laptops:
- OS X 10.9+
- Chrome 33+, Safari 8+ or FireFox 33+
- 1.6 gigahertz (GHz) or higher processor
- 512 MB of RAM or higher
- Chrome OS 33+
- Chrome 33+
- 1.6 gigahertz (GHz) or higher processor
- 2 GB of RAM or higher
iPad (mobile browser only):
- Safari 9+
- A5 chip minimum, ideally A7+
- 2nd Gen or higher as long as you are able to load and run the latest iOS
- 800 x 600 minimum resolution
- Audio driver and speakers or headphones required for audio
- Broadband connection capable of delivering an average of 100 kbps per active device
- At this time, product is not supported for use on Android Tablets.
How fast does my internet connection have to be?
Which web browsers work best for Skybrary School?
We recommend using the most updated version of Google Chrome, but Skybrary School works great in Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer 11 and above, which comes standard with Windows. Access "Windows Update" from the Tools menu to ensure you're using the most recent version of Internet Explorer. Visit http://www.google.com/chrome for Chrome and https://www.mozilla.org for Mozilla Firefox.
We recommend using the most updated version of Google Chrome, but Skybrary School works great in Safari, which comes standard with Mac OS X. Access "Software Update" from your Apple menu to ensure you're using the most recent version. It also works well in Mozilla Firefox.
How do I access Skybrary School in a public library or after school setting?
What kinds of books are in Skybrary School?
Can my child read books offline?
How do you address safety? Is Skybrary School a safe environment for my child?
Are there subscription discounts available for schools and libraries?
Does Skybrary School work with interactive whiteboards aka smartboards?
As an educator, are there limits to when my students or I can access Skybrary School?
Is Skybrary School available in other languages?
How do I set-up my classroom and roster students?
Sign Into Teacher Dashboard
Click CLASS ROSTER Tab
Click EDIT to name your class. Click SAVE when done.
Click ADD STUDENTS to input students into the class list.
You can upload a .CSV file with all student names OR add students manually.
If you are adding more students, click VIEW/EDIT STUDENTS.
Click ADD STUDENT
Enter their First Name (required), Last Name, and let us auto-populate the User Name.
If you are a paid subscriber, you can enter a Parent Email address so students can use Skybary School at home.
Enter a two icon or text password or click AUTOCREATE if you want us to make one for you.
How can I track my students' progress on Skybrary School?
Existing Customers & Manage My Subscription
How do I recover my password?
How can I renew my subscription?
Can I place my account on hold over the winter, spring, or summer breaks?
How do I cancel my subscription?
My bulk upload of teachers (via csv file) failed. What gives?
1. The email address you entered was incomplete or formatted improperly. For example, you forgot the @ sign or are missing a period before the domain (.com, .edu, etc.)
2. One or more of your teachers email addresses may already be registered with Skybrary Family.
3. One or more of your teachers email addresses may already be registered with Skybrary School, but are currently associated with another account, administrator or classroom.
4. One or more of your teacher email addresses are being used as parent email in Skybrary School.
Ways to avoid this:
1. Review and double-check your data to make sure there are no errors. Ask teachers prior to upload if they have an existing Skybrary Family or School account.
2. If possible, use an alternate email address for your teacher or ask your teachers to use their personal email address for their existing account so you can use their work account for Skybrary school.
How to fix this:
Contact Skybrary School customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help sort out any issues you are having.
How do I setup my classroom or lab's computers so students can use Skybrary School?
1. Sign in to your Teacher's Dashboard on all of the computers which you and your students will be accessing.
2. Scroll to bottom of the Dashboard then Select your Classroom Name from the Classroom Bookmark Creator. Hit the Go To Student Sign In button.
3. Once in the Student Sign In Screen, Bookmark the page within the browser for your student's easy access in the future.
4. Go Back to Teacher Dashboard and Logout. Repeat process on each computer.
5. Each student can then sign in via this link and enjoy reading and watching videos in Skybary School.
How do my students log out of Skybary School?
I’m having trouble downloading a book, help!
- Symptom: A book appears to download to the backpack, but you cannot tap and open the book.
- Symptom: A book starts downloading in the backpack, but the green progress bar resets and it starts downloading again.
- Symptom: A book starts to download but then you get a message that says "there was an error downloading, please close the backpack and try again.”
The most likely culprit is that the book is taking too long to download and a timeout error occurs. This can happen for any number of reasons. The following seems to work for most people:
1a. If you are using Skybrary School on the web, simply log out and log back in. This should take care of any book download issues!
1b. If you are using Skybrary on a tablet device, reset the app by force closing it: double tap the home button and then swipe up on the screenshot of the app. Then re-launch the app and try again.
2. When you try to download a book, download 1 book at a time and watch the download progress in the backpack (as opposed to leaving the backpack and browsing around which could bog down your internet connection). Some books are large files (> 10 MB) so let them download 1 at a time and wait for each one to complete. Observe the progress indicator and watch for any errors.
3.Make sure your tablet stays on and the app is in the foreground during the download. You can control this by changing the Auto-Lock setting. Go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock. Set it to the longest time or to Never to make sure the iPad doesn't go to sleep.
4. Your tablet may be getting full. Check your storage by going to Settings > General > Usage. We recommend having at least 500 MB of available space.
I am unable to play the videos. What could be causing this issue?
Why can't I hear the videos?
2. If there are speakers connected to your computer, are they powered on? Is their volume turned up?
3. Has someone left a pair of headphones plugged into the computer? If so, unplug them.
4. Can you hear when running other applications? If you can’t, and you’ve tried the above steps, then the problem may have something to do with your computer’s sound card or operating system.